From http://www.soundfood.com – Adapted from Kim O’Donnel of the Washington Post
- 1 cup garlic scapes (about 8 or 9 scapes), top bulby part removed, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Place scapes and walnuts in the bowl of a food processor and whiz until well combined and somewhat smooth. Slowly drizzle in oil and process until integrated.
- With a rubber spatula, scoop pesto out of bowl and into a mixing bowl. Add parmigiano to taste; add salt and pepper.
- Makes about 6 oz of pesto. Keeps for up to 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge.
- For 1/2 lb short pasta such as penne, add about 2 Tablespoons of pesto to cooked pasta and stir until well coated.